Travel Abroad

Planning a trip abroad? If you have questions about passport requirements, travel to a particular country, services for U.S. citizens abroad, as well as general travel tips, there are a number of valuable websites provided by the U.S. Department of State and by the Department of Homeland Security.

If you need further assistance, please contact Senator Leahy's Burlington Office at (800) 642-3193 (toll free within Vermont), or (802) 863-2525.


You can find information on how to apply for a U.S. Passport book (for all travel) or Passport card (only for land or sea travel to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda), at the Department of State's website for Passport Information and Applications.

Travel to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda (by land or sea)

Beginning June 1, 2009, all travel by land or sea between the United States and Canada is subject to the particular requirements of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). This means that every U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident must present a valid, WHTI-approved document in order to enter or re-enter the U.S.

You can find an explanation of these WHTI-compliant documents (a U.S. passport or passport card, an enhanced Vermont driver's license, a NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST card, a lawful permanent resident card, i.e. "green card" and others), also including instructions for Native Americans, members of the military, and people traveling with children under the age of 16 years, at U.S. Customs & Border Protection - WHTI documents.

World-Wide Travel Information

If you are planning a trip abroad and have questions about the safety of your travel or are looking for other information about the country you will be visiting, the State Department provides a significant amount of information, including travel alerts and warnings as well as how American citizens can access services from U.S. embassies, consulates and diplomatic missions around the world.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has a helpful publication called "Know Before You Go" that can answer many questions about what you are allowed to bring back into the U.S. after your travel abroad, as well as other re-entry information.

The State Department has a “Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)" that enables you to register with the U.S. Embassy in the country you are visiting so the Embassy can provide you with information while you are traveling and be able to contact you in case of emergency. 

Helpful Links