Active Duty, National Guard, and Members of the Military Reserves

Senator Leahy's office can assist Vermonters currently serving in the active duty, National Guard or Reserve components, as well as military family members and retirees, with a variety of issues ranging from health care to pay. 

If you are a Vermonter serving in the military and have tried unsuccessfully to resolve a problem through your chain of command, call Senator Leahy's military caseworker at (802) 863-2525.

Senator Leahy welcomes calls from concerned relatives, but it is important that he hear directly from the service member.

The Privacy Act requires a signed Privacy Release Form before a Federal agency can release information to Senator Leahy about your case.  You may be asked to provide a letter describing the problem, what steps you have taken to resolve it, and how you think Senator Leahy can help.

Military OneSource

Military OneSource is a 24-hour, 7 days a week toll-free information and referral service available to Active Duty, Reserve and National Guard military members and their families. In addition to helping service members and their families identify helpful resources, Military OneSource offers up to 12 free confidential counseling sessions per issue. Call (800) 342-9647 for more information.


TRICARE is the military health care program for active duty and retired military personnel, their dependents and survivors. TRICARE NORTH is managed by Health Net Federal Services, and can be reached by calling (877) TRICARE (877-874-2273).

For information about benefits for Reserve Component, see the Department of Defense website on TRICARE Reserve Select for Guard and Reservists. The Vermont National Guard Family Assistance Centers (FACs) can often help both Active Duty military and National Guard members and their families resolve problems with TRICARE.

Administrative/Financial Resources for Servicemembers, Military Families, and Retirees

Defense Finance and Accounting Service

Vermont Army National Guard Retiree Services

Defense Manpower Data Center

Locate the nearest site for in-person assistance with DEERS/ID cards/CAC

Family Support for Active Duty, National Guard Members and Veterans

Vermont Military Family Programs offer services to all National Guard, Reserve, and Active Component service members and their families.  Programs include child and youth services, family assistance, survivor assistance, and transition benefits.

Vermont National Guard Family Assistance Centers provide resource referral and support assistance to all National Guard, Reserve, and Active Component service members and their families throughout all phases of deployment.

Joint Family Support Assistance Program offers social work/counseling and training in military family life and in personal/family finance to members of all service branches and their families. 

Vermont Veterans Outreach Team provides ongoing assistance to combat Veterans of any service branch.  Outreach specialists located around the state are available to help returning combat veterans with reintegration issues and to provide information and referral to appropriate services.


Other Resources

American Red Cross Services for the Military

 Department of Defense

Vermont National Guard

Interesting in joining the military?


Support our troops and their families

Senator Leahy encourages all Vermonters to support our troops and their families, whether that means shoveling the driveway or bringing a meal to the family of a deployed soldier, hiring a veteran, or sending a care package.  For other ideas, see

U.S. Military Postal Service Agency