Income Taxes

To find out if you are required to file taxes, or to find more information on what forms to use, please visit the website of the Internal Revenue Service.

Once you file, you can track your refunds through “Where’s My Refund?” – another free service offered by the agency.  People without computer access can still use “Where’s My Refund?” by calling 1-800-829-1954.

Quick Facts About Your Taxes

  • Approximately 75 percent of taxpayers receive a refund.
  • Taxpayers who electronically file their tax returns and who use direct deposit can receive their refunds in as few as 10 days.
  • The IRS offers free services for tax preparation including the Free File program.

Tax-Time Resources:

Free Tax Return Preparation:

  • Find free volunteer tax preparation and e-filing at a VITA or AARP TCE site or call Vermont 2-1-1 for a referral to a site near you.
  • Free E-filing software is available for many taxpayers.  
  • Military OneSource offers free tax preparation and filing for active duty, National Guard, and reserve members, and their families.

Do You Have a Problem with the IRS?

Affordable Care Act Tax Provisions & Resources

Information for Same-Sex Couples

State of Vermont Taxes:

Internal Revenue Service Web Tax Centers

The IRS now has federal tax information on their website tailored for specific individual or business needs ranging from information for the self-employed, to how special tax law provisions may help taxpayers and businesses recover financially from the impact of a disaster.  Links to these sites are provided below.

Taxpayer Advocacy – Share Your Ideas for Improving the IRS

The Taxpayer Advocacy Panel (TAP) is a federal advisory committee established by the U.S. Department of Treasury and made up of citizen volunteers who listen to taxpayers, identify taxpayers' issues, and make suggestions for improving IRS service and customer satisfaction. 

You can also report systemic issues or ideas for improving the IRS or for tax reform to the Taxpayer Advocate Service.