Federal Assistance

Casework: How This Office Can Help

For over 47 years, it has been a privilege and an honor to assist Vermonters who have questions about available federal resources and need help resolving problems with federal agencies.

On November 15, 2021, Senator Leahy announced his intent not to seek re-election and to retire from the Senate at the conclusion of the 117th Congress (end of 2022). He and his staff continue to serve Vermonters and conduct legislative business.

Because the timeframe for resolving some cases involving federal agencies may extend beyond the end of Senator Leahy’s term, it may be more helpful for you to work with another member of Vermont’s Congressional delegation.

If you have questions about how this may affect any current or future casework requests, please call the Burlington office at (802) 863-2525 or (800) 642-3193.

You may also use the contact form to reach casework staff.

Due to separation of powers, Senator Leahy is unable to help with problems involving state or judicial agencies.


Department of Education

You can find general information about the Department of Education, along with the answers to more specific questions about financial aid, defaulted student loans, and loan cancellation at the Department of Education's website. The Student Aid Ombudsman is a good resource for people who are having trouble with their student loans.

Health Care Resources

Vermonters who are facing health care challenges have access to a variety of resources through the state and federal government. Read More »



If you are having problems with a Housing and Urban Development program or with your USDA Rural Housing Service home loan, please contact Senator Leahy’s office. You may also find these additional links helpful. Read More »


Immigration and Visa Services

Senator Leahy can help provide you with answers to general immigration questions and assistance with the visa application process. Read More »

irs list

Internal Revenue Service

The process of filing state and federal taxes can be overwhelming and confusing. Click here for help finding information and where to get help. Read More »


International Adoption

The adoption of children from other countries involves the U.S. Department of State's Office of Children’s Issues (OCI) as well as the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The U.S. Department of State's OCI website can answer many of your questions about the adoption process in over 60 countries. USCIS provides additional information on the immigration process for foreign-born adopted children.



Medicare is a health insurance program for people age 65 or older, under age 65 with certain disabilities and any age with End-Stage Renal Disease. The Medicare website has useful information for Medicare beneficiaries or people with questions about Medicare.



Senator Leahy can assist both active duty and retired members of the military with a variety of issues ranging from health care to pay issues. Read More »

social security

Social Security Administration

The Social Security Administration's web site has useful information about retirement, disability, and survivors’ benefits. You can also find Social Security forms and a section that explains how to apply for benefits. If you need further assistance, please contact Senator Leahy's Burlington office at 1-800-642-3193.

State and Community-Based Economic Assistance

State and Community based resources are available to Vermonters who are struggling with economic hardship.  Read More »

Travel Abroad and Passports

If you are planning a trip abroad, please be sure to check out this information on passport requirements, services for U.S. citizens abroad, as well as general travel tops. Read More »



Senator Leahy can help with pending claims with the Department of Veterans Affairs or with processing GI Bill education payments. Read More »


Workers' Compensation Program

The Office of Workers' Compensation Programs administers four major disability compensation programs which provide wage replacement benefits, medical treatment, vocational rehabilitation, and other benefits to federal workers or their dependents that are injured at work or acquire an occupational disease.