United States Service Academies
The United States Service Academies provide an excellent opportunity for qualified students to receive a paid education and graduate as commissioned officers in the United States Armed Services. Appointments are highly competitive, with the Academies selecting candidates based on evidence of character, scholarship, leadership ability, physical aptitude, medical fitness, goals and motivation. As a member of Congress, Senator Leahy is proud to nominate Vermont candidates each year to:
- U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, MD
- U.S. Military Academy at West Point, NY
- U.S. Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs, CO
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, NY
Note: The U.S. Coast Guard Academy does not require a congressional nomination. You should contact that Academy directly.
Senator Leahy considers applications from Vermont residents and children of Vermont residents. Applicants from other states will be encouraged to apply for a political nomination from their respective Congressional representatives.
To be eligible you must be:
- A United States citizen. Your permanent residence must be in Vermont.
- Between the ages of 17 and 22 on July 1 of the year you wish to enter the Academy.
- Unmarried, not pregnant, and without any obligation to support children or other dependents.
Qualifications and Requirements:
Applying for a Nomination to the United States Service Academies, Current Requirements
The following materials are required of all applicants. All materials must be received by COB on Monday, December 2nd in order to be considered for congressional nomination.
1. Contact the U.S. Service Academies that interest you and find out more about their specific eligibility requirements. You MUST contact an Academy directly to initiate the admissions process. This is IN ADDITION to the Congressional nomination process.
2. To be considered for a nomination by Senator Leahy, use the Start Application button below and complete the online application.
3. Please call Maddie Dunn at (802) 863-2525 to submit your Social Security number. The Senator's office uses your SSN to submit and track your application with the academies.
4. We require a hard copy of the following materials to be sent to our Burlington, VT. office, in addition to your completion of the online application:
- Arrange for letters of recommendation from three individuals who are familiar with your accomplishments in school, extracurricular and/or community activities. These individuals should not be related to you. Your references should write directly to Senator Leahy at the address below.
- Have your scores from either the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT-I) or American College Testing (ACT) sent to Senator Leahy. For the SAT, choose code 0217 and the results will be sent directly to Senator Leahy's office. On the ACT, choosing code 7000 will provide you with an extra copy that you can send in yourself.
- Have your school send Senator Leahy your transcript (including class rank, if available).
Senator Patrick Leahy
Attn: Academy Nominations
199 Main Street, Fourth Floor
Burlington, Vermont 05401
5. It is the applicant’s responsibility to directly submit all required application materials, and to communicate any problems or questions to Senator Leahy’s office. The office will not accept inquiries about the status of service academy nomination applications from parents or other family members, except in true emergency circumstances.