Vermont Firefighters Receive $1.6 Million in Federal Grants
Leahy, Sanders, Welch: Vermont Firefighters
Receive $1.6 Million in Federal Grants
BURLINGTON, Vt., Oct. 6 – Vermont’s congressional delegation announced Friday that firefighters throughout Vermont have received $1,635,648 through 15 federal grants.
The awards are part of the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s Assistance to Firefighters Grant program, which helps fire departments purchase critically needed equipment to better protect the public and first responders. This year’s Assistance to Firefighters grants will help buy a range of equipment, including turnout gear, breathing apparatus, a brush truck and radios.
“Our firefighters play an invaluable role in communities throughout Vermont. We are pleased to be able to help provide the resources they need. These federal grants will play a crucial role in purchasing essential equipment to help our first responders protect Vermonters,” said Sens. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) and Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), and Rep. Peter Welch (D-Vt.).
The grants announced Friday are in addition to a $329,378 FEMA grant the Vermont Public Safety Department’s Division of Fire Safety received last month to help the Division implement “Fire Safe 802,” a statewide, rural home fire safety education project.
The federal grants were awarded to:
- Bradford Fire Department; $113,694;
- Champion Fire Company of South Londonderry; $84,096;
- Ferrisburgh Volunteer Fire Department; $76,762;
- Franklin Fire Department; $50,186;
- Grand Isle Volunteer Fire Department; $80,000;
- Middlebury Fire Department; $219,223;
- New Brook Fire Department; $93,334;
- Pawlet Volunteer Fire Department; $72,381;
- Springfield Fire Department; $250,069;
- Stamford Volunteer Fire Department; $14,191;
- Underhill-Jericho Fire Department; $19,048;
- Vermont Department of Public Safety, Division of Fire Safety, Vermont Fire Academy; $426,925;
- West Dummerston Volunteer Fire Department; $40,000;
- West Dummerston Volunteer Fire Department; $76,096;
- Wilmington Fire Department; $19,643
The next Assistance to Firefighters Grant application period is expected to open this fall. For updates, please visit https://www.fema.gov/welcome-assistance-firefighters-grant-program
David Carle (Leahy): 202-224-3693
Dan McLean (Sanders): 802-862-6695
Kate Hamilton (Welch): 202-440-3340
Next Article Previous Article