Leahy Announces $1 Million In Grants For Local Drug Abuse Programs Across Vermont
Thirteen community coalitions across Vermont will receive continued federal support, totaling just over $1 million, for their efforts to combat drug abuse, according to Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.).
The Drug-Free Communities grants from the Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) run for a year from September 30 this year and will help community groups work to prevent and reduce drug, alcohol, and tobacco abuse among youths and to strengthen community anti-drug coalitions among community organizations, law enforcement agencies and state anti-drug offices. All 13 coalitions received earlier grants and did again this year for meeting required criteria.
“There is a myth that drug abuse is only a big-city problem, but Vermont and other rural areas are also coping with its problems,” said Leahy. “These groups and their creative leadership closely monitor trends in their communities and steadily work to address them.” Leahy, who chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee, which oversees the program, brought the committee to Rutland this spring to hear testimony about drug-related violent crimes.
Since the Drug Free Communities program was created in 1997, ONDCP has awarded some 1300 grants nationwide.
Leahy released this list of Vermont grants:
- Lake Region Community Action Network, Newport - $100,000
- Rutland Area Prevention Coalition, Rutland - $57,782
- Cabot Coalition, Plainfield - $60,000
- Deerfield Valley Community Partnership, Wilmington - $90,000
- Grand Isle County Community Coalition, Grand Isle - $45,000
- Franklin County Caring Communities Coalition, Swanton - $74,469
- Connecting Youth in Chittenden South, Shelburne - $100,000
- Greater Northfield Coalition Council, Northfield - $94,370
- Black River Area Community Coalition, Ludlow - $100,000
- Hardwick Area Community Coalition, Hardwick - $65,000
- Southshire Substance Abuse Coalition, Bennington - $100,000
- Windsor Area Community Partnership, Windsor - $100,000
- The Collaborative, South Londonderry - $100,000
# # # # #
Press ContactDavid Carle: 202-224-3693
Next Article Previous Article