On Eve of Confirmation Hearing, Leahy Urges Senators to Focus On Record of AG Nominee Lynch
WASHINGTON (Tuesday, January 27, 2015) – Tomorrow (Wednesday), the Senate Judiciary Committee will hold a confirmation hearing for Loretta Lynch to be the 83rd Attorney General of the United States. Senator Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), the committee’s ranking member, urged all Senators to focus on Lynch’s credentials to serve as the nation’s chief law enforcement officer.
“The Senate has the constitutional advice and consent responsibility for considering presidential nominees, and tomorrow’s confirmation hearing for the Attorney General of the United States is an important step in fulfilling that obligation,” Leahy said. “The Senate Judiciary Committee hearing is also an opportunity for the public to hear directly from Loretta Lynch. Ms. Lynch is a dedicated public servant with a strong commitment to justice and to keeping our communities safe. Ms. Lynch deserves to be judged on her own record. I am confident that if we stay focused on Ms. Lynch’s impeccable qualifications and her reputation for fairness, she will be quickly confirmed by the Senate.”
The Senate received Lynch’s nomination to serve as Attorney General in November of last year. Lynch currently serves as the United States Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, a position to which she was unanimously confirmed by the Senate in April 2010. She was unanimously confirmed by the Senate to the same position in 2000.
Tomorrow’s confirmation hearing will be held on at 10 a.m. in Room 216 of the Hart Senate Office Building.
Broad Support for Loretta Lynch, Historic AG Nominee
- “Ms. Lynch’s current service as USA has also demonstrated her strong commitment to the even-handed enforcement of every major criminal and civil program of significance… I am certain that Ms. Lynch will be an outstanding Attorney General.” Louis Freeh, former FBI director and federal judge (letter of support)
- “Loretta Lynch is a remarkable prosecutor with a clear sense of justice without fear or favor. She has prosecuted the most serious terrorist plots against New York City since 9-11. She has led the investigations into violent street gangs, as well as complex, and multi-million dollar cyber crews. Loretta has jailed the top leaders of organized crime and corrupt public officials. She has been a steady hand in New York’s battles against crime, corruption, and terrorism. She has been a great partner for the NYPD and great friend to me.” New York Police Commission William Bratton (CBS, 11/8/14)
- “We firmly believe that Ms. Lynch will make an outstanding Attorney General. And, we are very pleased that the President has nominated a sitting U.S. Attorney to be Attorney General. Indeed, if confirmed, this would be the first time in almost two centuries that a U.S. Attorney would have been directly elevated to Attorney General.” Twenty-five former United States Attorneys from both Republican and Democratic administrations (letter of support)
- “Ms. Lynch has the qualifications, skills, and temperament to be an outstanding Attorney General. Additionally, Ms. Lynch has a breadth and depth of experience in public service, management, and leadership that make her an exceptional candidate for this post.” The National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives (NOBLE) (letter of support)
- “U.S. Attorney Loretta Lynch’s confirmation would advance this nation’s ongoing pursuit of becoming a more perfect union where she would become the nation’s first African American woman to serve as U.S. Attorney General. She has distinguished herself as a tough, fair, independent lawyer dedicated to equal justice under the law.” Marc Morial, President and CEO of the National Urban League (letter of support)
- “As the Chief Legal Officer of a large public company, I am acutely aware of how important it is to have the federal government enforce the laws in an even handed way… I would trust Loretta to strike that balance correctly, standing up for rule of law but remaining open to hearing arguments from the defense bar and reaching reasonable decisions in each case.” Audrey Strauss, the Executive Vice President and Chief Legal Officer of Alcoa, Inc. (letter of support)
- “I have known Loretta for almost twenty years. During that time I have been consistently impressed with her courage, character and effectiveness. Loretta Lynch is a person of great integrity who will enforce the law in a clear, effective and non-partisan way.” Sara Moss, Executive Vice President and General Counsel of The Estee Lauder Companies (letter of support)
David Carle: 202-224-3693
Next Article Previous Article