“I am gratified that Vermont is volunteering to welcome and resettle one hundred Afghans who have fled their country in recent weeks. Many of these Afghans supported the U.S. military and our government over the past two decades, risking their lives and the safety of their families. Vermonters recognize that it is our moral obligation to provide them refuge from retaliation and persecution by the Taliban and other extremist groups in Afghanistan.
“Vermont has a long history of warmly welcoming refugees who have become an integral part of communities across our state. They have made Vermont stronger. It is fitting that Vermont is stepping up yet again to offer safe haven to vulnerable Afghans in their hour of need.”Read more here.
Latest Photo Gallery
- Patrick Leahy: The chilling assault on our constitutional republic - VT Digger Op-Ed
- Leahy: Assault on our Postal Service
- Leahy Unveils Legislation To Defend Power Of The Purse
- A Heads Up For THIS WEEK (& a Leahy-Lee WashPost Op-Ed, On Their Reforms To The FISA Surveillance Law)
- Patrick Leahy: Trump Broke The Law. Congress Must Now Defend The Separation Of Powers
- Leahy: FOIA sharpens focus on cover-up
- Science Under Attack: How Trump Is Sidelining Researchers and Their Work
- Leahy announces benefits to Vermont in funding bill
- Senator Leahy in The New York Times: What The Senate Does Now Will Cast A Long Shadow