If you have a pending claim or appeal with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), Senator Leahy's casework staff can:
- check on the status of your case
- assist in obtaining service or medical records to support your claim
- recommend that the VA consider a request for expedited consideration in cases of homelessness, terminal illness, or extreme financial hardship.
Senator Leahy can request that the Department of Veterans Affairs give your application every proper consideration. However, he cannot influence the outcome of your case, nor can his office submit a claim on your behalf. The Department of Veterans Affairs recommends that veterans use a Veterans Service Officer to assist them in filing claims.
Veterans may contact a service officer from the list below to assist with their claims, regardless of their service organization affiliation.
- American Legion Service Officer, White River Junction VA (802) 296-5166
- Disabled American Veterans Service Officer, White River Junction VA (802) 296-5167
- Veterans of Foreign Wars Service Officer, White River Junction VA (802) 296-5168
- State of Vermont Service Officer Program, Travels Statewide (888) 666-9844
GI Bill Benefits
In 2008, Congress enacted the post-9/11 GI Bill, which was the largest expansion of veterans educational benefits since the original GI Bill was signed into law in 1944. Congress then enacted the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Improvements Act of 2010. With unprecedented demand for the program, the Department of Veterans Affairs initially experienced significant delays in benefits processing. Please contact Senator Leahy's veterans caseworker if you have are having any difficulty with your GI bill payments.
- Vermont Veterans Service Directory Call 211 or Vermont Veterans and Family Outreach Team (888) 607-8773
- White River Junction VA Medical Center
- Vermont Vet Centers 359 Dorset Street, South Burlington, phone: (802) 862-1806
2 Gilman Office Complex, White River Junction, phone: toll-free (800) 649-6603 or (802) 295-2908
- Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
- National Center for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- VA Education Benefits
- Women Veterans
- Veterans Service Organizations
- National Personnel Records Center
- Combat-Related Special Compensation
- Defense Finance and Accounting Service
- Vermont Veterans Outreach Team (operated by the Vermont National Guard)