Provisions Relevant To The Situation In Egypt In The FY12 State Department And Foreign Operations Appropriations Law --
July 3, 2013
Sec. 7008. None of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available pursuant to titles III through VI of this Act shall be obligated or expended to finance directly any assistance to the government of any country whose duly elected head of government is deposed by military coup d'etat or decree or, after the date of enactment of this Act, a coup d'etat or decree in which the military plays a decisive role: Provided, That assistance may be resumed to such government if the President determines and certifies to the Committees on Appropriations that subsequent to the termination of assistance a democratically elected government has taken office: Provided further, That the provisions of this section shall not apply to assistance to promote democratic elections or public participation in democratic processes: Provided further, That funds made available pursuant to the previous provisos shall be subject to the regular notification procedures of the Committees on Appropriations.
Sec. 7041. (a) Egypt-
(1)(A) None of the funds appropriated under titles III and IV of this Act and in prior Acts making appropriations for the Department of State, foreign operations, and related programs may be made available for assistance for the central Government of Egypt unless the Secretary of State certifies to the Committees on Appropriations that such government is meeting its obligations under the 1979 Egypt-Israel Peace Treaty.
(B) Prior to the obligation of funds appropriated by this Act under the heading `Foreign Military Financing Program', the Secretary of State shall certify to the Committees on Appropriations that the Government of Egypt is supporting the transition to civilian government including holding free and fair elections; implementing policies to protect freedom of expression, association, and religion, and due process of law.
(C) The Secretary of State may waive the requirements of paragraphs (A) and (B) if the Secretary determines and reports to the Committees on Appropriations that to do so is in the national security interest of the United States: Provided, That such determination and report shall include a detailed justification for such waiver.
(2) The Secretary of State shall consult with the Committees on Appropriations prior to the transfer of funds appropriated by this Act under the heading `Foreign Military Financing Program' to an interest-bearing account for Egypt.
(3) Funds appropriated under the heading `Economic Support Fund' in this Act and prior Acts (including previously obligated funds), may be made available, notwithstanding any other provision of law, for an Egypt initiative, particularly for the specific costs referred to in the authorities referenced herein, for the purpose of improving the lives of the Egyptian people through education, investment in jobs and skills (including secondary and vocational education), and access to finance for small and medium enterprises with emphasis on expanding opportunities for women, as well as other appropriate market-reform and economic growth activities: Provided, That the provisions of title VI of Public Law 103-306 pertaining to funds for Jordan shall be deemed to apply to any such initiative and to funds available under this section to carry out such an initiative in the same manner as such cited provisions apply to Jordan, subject to the following provisos: Provided further, That subparagraph (b)(2) shall be deemed not to apply and the amount made available pursuant to this section as set forth in the joint explanatory statement accompanying this Act and incorporated herein shall be deemed to apply in lieu of the figure in subparagraph (b)(1): Provided further, That the authority to reduce debt shall include authority to exchange an outstanding obligation for a new obligation and to permit both principal and interest payments on new obligations to be deposited into a fund established for such purpose, to be used in accordance with purposes set forth in an agreement between the United States and Egypt: Provided further, That the authority of this paragraph shall only be made available after the Secretary of State certifies to the Committees on Appropriations that the Government of Egypt is implementing economic development policies consistent with the objectives of such initiative: Provided further, That funds made available for such initiative shall be subject to the regular notification procedures of the Committees on Appropriations.
- Leahy: Grant Will Help Vermont Track And Manage The Devastating Spread Of White-Nose Syndrome In Bat Populations, August 26, 2014
- USDA Secretary Vilsack To Visit VT On Thursday; Ann't Set On Significant Water Quality Initiatives Related To Lake Champlain, August 26, 2014
- Leahy: Grants Totaling $185,865 To Two Vermont Farms Will Advance Value-Added Farm Products, August 20, 2014
- Comments Of Senator Patrick Leahy (D-Vt., President Pro Tempore) On The Passing Of Former Senator Jim Jeffords, August 18, 2014