Judiciary Committee Begins Fifth Day Of Markup
May 21, 2013
From The Senate Judiciary Committee Majority Staff
S. 744: The Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act
#CIRmarkup: Judiciary Committee Begins Fifth Day of Markup
RECAP: The Senate Judiciary Committee has concluded four days of markup of the Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act. The Committee has considered over 165 amendments, offered by both Republicans and Democrats, to every title of the bill.
Coming Up Today in the Committee
Today, the Committee will continue consideration of Title II, which includes the provisions relating to an earned path to citizenship, the agricultural worker program, future immigration and other immigrant programs. The Committee has completed consideration of Title I, Title III, and the “pre-title” of the bill related to triggers. The Committee is expected to work into the evening during today’s markup session.
- Watch the markup proceedings online: Continuation of Executive Business Meeting
- Watch live on C-SPAN: http://www.c-span.org/
- Developments are available on Twitter by following @SenatorLeahy and #CIRmarkup: https://twitter.com/SenatorLeahy
- Results of Committee votes on amendments are available on the Senate Judiciary Committee website: http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/
*Scheduling Note: The Committee is expected to recess to allow for the weekly caucus lunches.
The nation was built by immigrants pursuing the American dream. Comprehensive immigration reform will keep that dream alive for millions seeking opportunity in the United States.
The Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act is a thoughtful, realistic approach to meaningful immigration reform. For generations, dating back to the Founders, immigrants have sought opportunity in the United States, and the chance to work and prosper. The nation was built by immigrants pursuing freedom and opportunity.
- Immigrants Support the Economy: Through generations, immigrants have supported the economy, contributing to the innovation and entrepreneurial spirit that drives America’s economy and makes the nation a leader in the global marketplace. Immigrants also help sustain our local farms and seasonal businesses. S.744, and amendments adopted by the Judiciary Committee, will strengthen the opportunities available to high-skilled immigrants, and address the labor needs of American businesses.
- America As a Beacon of Hope: Since the founding of the nation, refugees and asylees have sought freedom from persecution in America, which has represented a beacon of hope for millions. S.744 will remove barriers for refugees fleeing discrimination and violence in their native countries and those seeking a better life for themselves and their families. America’s immigrants are woven into the fabric of the nation, and support the goals and ideals on which the nation was founded.
- An Earned Path to Citizenship and Commitment to Families: Citizenship is a right cherished by of hundreds of millions of Americans. S.744 provides a hard-earned path to citizenship for the millions of undocumented workers pursing the American dream who are already contributing members of our communities. Amendments adopted by the Judiciary Committee will further improve family unification policies.
- Immigration in the 21st Century: The threats facing the nation are varied from those faced even a generation ago. S.744 recognizes that border security is in fact a matter of national security, and devotes unprecedented resources to securing the nation’s borders and ports of entry, while recognizing that addressing the millions of undocumented workers in the United States will strengthen our national security.
- Senator Patrick Leahy Urges Comcast to Take a Stand Against Internet “Fast Lanes”, October 20, 2014
- Comments Of Senator Patrick Leahy On The IBM-Global Foundries Announcement, October 20, 2014
- Comment of Senator Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), Chairman, Senate Judiciary Committee, on the Announcement by Google Concerning Websites Dedicated to Online Piracy, October 17, 2014
- Leahy, Sanders, Welch: With Cold Weather Around The Corner, Vermont Receives $17.2 M. In Home Heating Assistance, October 16, 2014